If you’re unfamiliar with the ketogenic diet, it’s basically the modern-day answer to the Atkins diet. You’ll follow a regimen of low carbohydrate and high protein meals to help promote fat burning and ‘hopefully’ gain more energy. To take the guesswork out of meal planning, we found 5 quick keto recipes that make your life so much easier. Keep reading to start your new diet out on the right track.
1. The Keto Friendly Pancakes
- 12 cup yoghurt—whole milk and plain
- 2tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1. Place muffin cups in your 6-12 space tray
- 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 3. Blend your yoghurt, oil, vinegar, extract and any sweetener you have together. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Blend until combined.
- 4. Now add in the eggs and blend again. Pop it on a high setting and blend for about 30 seconds until the eggs just mix in to create your batter.
- 5. Now add in all your other ingredients and stir by hand.
- 6. Place the batter into your muffin liners. Add some chopped walnuts or almonds on top if you wish.
- 7. Bake for around 15-20 minutes. To test if they’re done, stick a knife or skewer into the middle and see if it comes out clean. If not, then the muffins need to go back in for a little longer.
You can add in some sweetener if you find you need it in your muffins. Opt for a natural sweetener like Stevia if you’re going to use it. You can also add some nuts and seeds into the mix for that little extra bite. Poppy seeds work really well!
Some keto recipes do add some blueberries and raspberries to them. While we say no fruits allowed, there are some fruits that work out lower in carbs. You can create muffins with 4.5g net carbs by adding some fruits.
Allow them to cool before you serve/eat.
2. Chicken & Mushroom Celery Root Pasta
Ingredients for the noodles:
- 2 celery roots
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- ½ cup of cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Garlic and onion powder, and salt
Ingredients for the meat and vegetables
- 3 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 2-4 chicken breasts, skinless
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Garlic and onion powder, and salt
- ¼ cup of water
Start with the sauce and noodles
- 1. Peel your celery root and spiralize them. Sprinkle with salt.
- 2. Heat a pan on medium heat and place the spiralized celery in it. Add the ghee.
- 3. Saute until they are easily halved.
- 4. Blend all the ingredients for the sauce and then pour over the noodles. Simmer while partially covered on a low heat. Leave for about 20 minutes, while you work on the other part.
Mushrooms and chicken:
- 1. Saute the mushrooms over a medium heat.
- 2. Add the ghee and salt.
- 3. Leave until tender.
- 4. In another pan add ghee.
- 5. Sprinkle your chicken with the seasoning on both sides and then cook for a minute on both sides.
- 6. Add the water and place a lid over the pan with a slight crack.
- 7. Reduce the heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- 8. Leave to cool and cut the chicken up into pieces.
- 9. Add the chicken and mushrooms to the noodles.
- 10. Mix together and serve with seasoning to taste.
3. Burger With a Twist
- 800g minced beef
- 8 rashers of bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup cheese, something like cheddar
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Slices of onion
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Soy sauce/Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1. Start by frying your bacon in a pan with some oil. Season as you like.
- 2. Once fully cooked, remove the bacon and place on some paper towels to soak up the oils.
- 3. Now mix your beef with all the ingredients, except the cheese, in a mixing bowl.
- 4. Create patties with your hands. You should be able to get 8-10 patties.
- 5. Fry each of the patties in your oil. You should be able to cook at least two at once.
- 6. Flip the burgers and cook until they are made just the way you like.
You can also add other toppings that you like. Try some tomatoes, pickles, and more! You could even spice things up by adding some extra flavours to your beef burgers. You could also add some jalapenos or chilli if you like a kick.
If you want something a little lighter on the stomach, consider some turkey mince or pork mince instead.
To serve, place one patty on the plate and then top with some cheese, extra bacon and all the vegetables you want. Top with the second pattie. Top with all the fatty dressing you could want.
4. Pizza Breakfast Frittata
- 12 eggs
- 9oz spinach ripped into smaller pieces
- 1oz pepperoni
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 5oz mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Seasoning to taste
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375
- 2. Mix the eggs, spices and oil together
- 3. Add in the cheese and spinach
- 4. Add to a skillet, sprinkle with some extra mozzarella cheese on top
- 5. Add the pepperoni to make it look like a pizza
- 6. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes
Serve with your favourite fatty dressings.
This isn’t going to be your quick morning breakfast, but it is great for getting everyone to sit together on the weekend.
5. Chocolate and Coconut Bars
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, desiccated
- 1 packet natural sweetener like stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 4 tbsp coconut oil/cocoa butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1. Mix the coconut, cream, extract, and stevia together. Blend with a spoon.
- 2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the coconut mixture on it.
- 3. Shape into a rectangle about 1in thick.
- 4. Freeze for two hours. It will be solid.
- 5. While this happens, you can melt your coconut oil/cocoa butter (whichever you choose) in a sauce pan.
- 6. Add the powder and some stevia and extract the oil. Mix and heat for 2 minutes.
- 7. Allow to cool until at room temperature.
- 8. Remove the coconut from the freezer and cut into bars.
- 9. Dip the bars into the cocoa mixture, coating all sides evenly.
- 10. Place onto the cookie sheet and put into the fridge to cool completely.
- 11. Allow to remain in the fridge to keep the solid consistency when it comes to eating them.
- If you want them softer, allow reaching room temperature.